March 2, 2012

Coconut Crepes


Muttakuzhalappam / Madakku San / Coconut Pancake are the different names we Keralites relate this particular Coconut Crepes with. This is a very popular Breakfast or evening snack among the Syrian Christians of Kerala and loved by all ages. When I think of this yummy crepe, I remember our school days when amma used to serve this for our evening after school snack. Everyday we come back from school hungry and anxious to see what she has made for us. The days we told her in advance that we want Coconut Crepes for snack, every minute that we took walking back from school to home would seem like an hour. I don’t think this memory will ever be replaced by a new one for this particular dish but will take my sisters and me back to good old school days. I am sure some of you out there are remembering and recollecting some of your old memories when you read this recipe just like me. It is too early for my son to remember that he ate it this morning but I am so happy I gave him a taste of our childhood. Hope you will make it too and I can guarantee it that your children will love it.

You will need:
Maida -  2 cups
Eggs - 2 
Water - 2 1/4 cup
Salt to Taste
Coconut - 2 cups
Sugar - 4 Tbsp
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp (Optional)

Whip the eggs well.
Add the flour to the egg mixture and mix it well with it wire whisk.
Add water, sugar, salt and mix well till you get a very smooth thin batter.
Heat a kadai. I used an appam chetti (Available in most supermarkets). Take care not to over heat the pan.
Ladle the batter into the warm kadai and turn it around once like how you would make an appam. Make sure you are turning only once so that the batter doesn't over lap. Else you will end up with very thick crepes.


Carefully transfer it to a plate.
For the stuffing, mix together coconut, sugar and cardamom powder.
Put a tablespoon or more of the coconut mixture in the centre of the crepe as shown below.




Fold the crepe carefully at the vertical side. Next, fold the crepes horiszonatally into almost half and bring it together like a spring roll. Now you will get a roll with the sides closed.
Your Coconut Crepe is now ready!!! Serve it hot or cold and enjoy a delicious snack.
Watch this space for innovative ways of making yummy crepe desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment