March 11, 2012

Lemon Curd


My whole house is filled with the lovely citrusy smell and I am filled with so much happiness that it is hard for me to try and explain it. I have always been hesitant to make lemon curd at home and today, when I am burning with a fever of 101 Degrees, I decide to make it. I am so glad I overcame this fear and made this incredibly tangy delicious lemon curd which immediately lifted my mood and made me so cheerful. For some reason, I think lemon curd frightened everyone to thinking that it’s too complicated. But No! It’s so easy. Best part is you can make this ahead and keep in an airtight container for about a week or two in the refrigerator. The flavor of this is so strong and creamy that you can enjoy it with a simple toast, scone, pancake, fill your tart or dip a simple cookie in it and watch your simple dish turn to a luscious treat. I am still deciding what I can use this lemon curd for. Maybe a Cheesecake!!! Watch this space for a simple cheesecake recipe or a Lemon meringue pie using this lemon curd recipe.



You will need:
Eggs - 3 kept at room temperature
Sugar - 1 cup
Fresh Lemon Juice - 1/3 cup
Lemon Zest - 1 tsp
Butter - 50 gms

Break the eggs and add  the sugar and lemon juice in a stainless steel bowl.
Whisk with an electric beater on high for a minute or 2.
Place the stainless steel bowl on top of simmering water and stir it constantly with a wire whisk.
Continue doing so till your egg mixture thickens and becomes like thick custard.
This will take approximately 10 minutes.
Remove from the simmering water and continue to stir it while adding the butter and lemon zest.
If it has curdled, don’t worry. Just strain it through a fine sieve.
Cover it with a cling wrap, touching the wrap on the surface of the lemon curd. This prevents it from forming a thin film on top.
Transfer into a air tight bottle and store in the refrigerator.

If you want the texture to be lighter, just add 1/2 cup of whipped cream. Enjoy your lemon curd any way you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment