May 11, 2012

Happy Mother's Day


Finally... I am back in action after what felt like a long break to me. Yaaaa!!! What better come back than a post dedicated to that one woman who has been molding our character ever since we came out screaming into this world and continue to do that today too. We will always be their babies even if we turn fifty. 

"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces that she never did care for a pie." - Tenneva Jordan

Isn't that quote so true? Mom can make so many different sacrifices for us, always keeping their preferences last or sometimes never telling us what they would like. You could go on writing all those different things that she did for you and suddenly it hits you that you could probably write a never ending book on it. Remember those days when that horrible flu kicks in and you are cuddled up in bed, whining, groaning and making a fuss out of nothing. We call out to her for everything, not realizing that she too is burning with a temperature of 102 Degrees F or more, and having the worst body ache herself. Does she stop though? No! She doesn't. Instead she walks in with a smile of her face and a tray in her hands with your favorite food hoping you will eat something and gain that strength back. Did she eat anything or take her medications yet? Ever cared to ask? She forgets about everything that is worrying her and puts in all her strength to make your day as comfortable as possible, working hard at making those baked goodies or a bowl of hot healthy soup or even a home made concoction of some secret herbs to help you recover faster. 

Until just a few years back, I would put up my legs and say "Amma, can you please make something special today?" or "Amma, please make me a cup of tea" or "Amma, could you please iron my clothes to take for tomorrow's trip? I am really tired to do anything now." Just when she just was about sit down and relax after doing the million chores around the house! Only after I became a mother myself a year and three months back, did all the sacrifices that my mother made for us come into true light. I am now a proud mother who has quit her job to look after her family and a strong believer of the below quote.

"Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs... since the payment is pure love." - Mildred B. Vermont



This Mother's day, both my moms are with us. My mom and my husband's mom! It is a very special day for me. I am going to cook, bake and pamper them for a change when all along they have been doing it for us. I started off with this awesome Almond Brownies with Fudge Frosting to kick off with a sweet something and definitely repeating Roast Pork in Red Wine which is now my mom's favorite, along with some really yummy food which I will be trying this Sunday and posting the recipes soon.

I got the perfect gift from my 15 month old son too. What could be more perfect than him reaching the milestone I have been waiting for - Walking! What are you doing this year to make the day special for your mother? Are you going to cook up something yummy too or treating her to a fine dining restaurant or taking her out for a spa experience or even saying that you love her with a bunch of beautiful lilies? I would love to know too. Write in and share your ideas with me. If you are away from home, don't worry. When you have your mother in your heart, you are never far from home. 

Happy Mother's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment