June 8, 2012

Pineapple Meringue Pie


I had an awesome week. Lots of birthdays including mine. My loving husband and friends threw the most wonderful surprise party that left me smiling through the next day too.  It was definitely the best birthday I have ever had especially when my 16 month old sings Happbirdayto uuuuu!!! Good times unfortunately do not last long :( and it is that time of the year when I have to bid goodbyes to some wonderful people in our life. I have been feeling pretty low lately because just like everybody else, I detest goodbyes. I really needed some sugar rush and baking therapy to lift my mood. That is when I was talking to my mom who said she had this awesome dessert at one of the parties back home and said that it is a must try. Taking her word, I grabbed the opportunity to bake this very traditional dessert and sure did wonders to my mood. Except, now I know, creativity is really low when you are in a bad mood hence no mood for good photographs either. However, I will make do what I have now. This very tropical sweet dessert that is truly perfect after a heavy dinner.


You will need :
Sugar - 1 cup or 1 cup Condensed Milk plus 4 tbsp sugar extra
Cornflour - 2 tbsp
Salt - a pinch
Crushed pineapple - 11/2 cups
Eggs separated - 3
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Shortcrust Pastry Shell – 1(Optional. The original recipe calls for using the crust but try the dessert without this base like I did. Only thing is, you won’t be able to cut neat slices but can scoop it out instead.)


Combine the condensed milk/ sugar with the crushed pineapple, cornflour and salt. Bring to a boil.
Beat in the egg yolks into the hot pineapple mixture stirring all the time.
Put it back on the heat for another 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the lemon juice.
Pour the mixture on top of the pastry shell in the oven proof pie dish.
Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees Centrigrade.
For the Meringue, beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form.
Add the remaining 4 tbsp of sugar a little at a time until stiff peaks form.
Spoon the meringue on top of the warm pineapple mixture sealing the edges.
Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until the top becomes a lovely golden color.
Refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment