August 9, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is my very first recipe in the blog which I made specially for my adorable naughty little sunshine - Aaron. Just like everyone who loves a well made Chocolate Chip Cookie, Aaron too seemed to have taken to it so far. Whew! Am glad. With only nine teeth so far, he has done a mighty good job with those cookies. Now it will encourage me to make all these and more for him especially when he starts school. Apart from him, I am also quietly indulging in these wonderful little tea time goodie too. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside as I nibble on these yummy crunchy yet chewy cookies with a cup of hot chocolate on an otherwise dull cloudy day. It makes me all nostalgic as I remember the days when my mother used to bake for us.

You may notice the little sugar granules in the pictures. I am not sure if they were supposed to be like that but I really do not mind it as it definitely adds to the crunchiness of the cookie and tastes better. If you prefer it without the granules, maybe you could try using really fine white sugar instead. Recipe adapted from here!

You will need: 
Butter kept at room temperature - 1 cup
White Sugar - 1 cup
Brown Sugar - 1 cup
Eggs - 2
Vanilla Essence - 2 tsp
Plain Flour - 3 cups
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Hot water - 2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Cream of Tartare - 1/2 tsp (Optional. I used this as suggested by a baker to give the cookies the cracked look instead of a smooth top)
Chocolate Chips - 2 cups

Preheat oven to 175C Degrees.
Cream together butter and the sugars using an electric beater.
Add the eggs one at a time.
Add the vanilla essence and mix well.
Dissolve the baking powder with the hot water and add to the sugar mixture. Mix well.
Add the flour, chocolate chips, cream of tartare and salt. Stir together with a wooden spatula and ensure that all the ingredients have been combined well.
Make small lime sized balls and place on a ungreased cookie tray leaving an inch or a little more space between them.
If time permits, refrigerate the mixture for about 10 minutes before putting into the oven.
Chill the rest of the prepared cookie balls while one batch of the cookies are baking.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottom sides have browned slightly.
It will still feel soft if you feel it whilst in the oven but don't be tempted to bake longer as it becomes very hard once cooled.
Gently remove the cookies with the help of a flat spatula and cool on a wire rack. 
Store in an air tight container. I got 45 cookies with this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment