August 21, 2012

Egg-less Vanilla Cake

There is nothing more satisfactory for a chef when the food he/she makes vanishes right in front of the eyes or does not last very long. There is no better complement that you can give a chef when you reach out for the second helping or the third or gets asked to make it again for them sometime soon. It was one such day yesterday for me with this cake I made it for my friend and her family. My eyes popped out when the dish I gave the cake in came back to me in less than two hours and was informed that it got over pretty quickly. Was it that good? Guess it was. I managed to sneak in a piece for myself as I had to test it first before giving it to them ;) . Though it is egg-less, it is probably the best vanilla cake I have made. I use it quite often for my fruit desserts and is the simplest cake ever baked by me. It is moist, soft and not so sweet which makes it perfect for frosting it. If you are not planning on doing a frosting for this cake, I strongly recommend that you increase the sugar a little bit more. I used a Chocolate Ganache this time but have tried whipped cream icing and all sorts of butter cream icing on this one. Enjoy!
You will need:
Cake Flour - 2 1/2 cups
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Condensed Milk - 1 can
Orange Juice or water - 1 cup
Melted Butter - 1 cup
Sugar - 3 tbsp
White Vinegar - 2 tbsp
Vanilla Essence - 1 tbsp

Preheat the oven to 175C and line a 9 inch cake tin with a parchment paper.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and the baking soda.
Beat together the sugar, condensed milk, butter, water, vanilla essence and the vinegar.
Fold in the dry ingredients into the condensed milk mixture until just about combined. Over mixing any cake makes it dense.
Pour the mixture into the baking tin and tap it lightly to remove any air bubbles.
Bake for about 35 minutes approximately or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Remove from the cake tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting it. Enjoy!
It is best had slightly warm if you are not frosting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment