December 19, 2012

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes by Rachel and Emil George - Happy Anniversary you two!


After a month of no blogging, I am back with a post by the love birds of the family - my sister Rachel and her husband, Emil! Happy Anniversary you two. After completing a wonderful four years of marriage, you have proved to all of us that to be successfully married, you need to be best friends first ;) . Rachel and I have shared a special bond in baking since our school days. We used to sneak into the kitchen, go through mom's recipes and cook up something almost everyday. She is a wonderful cook just like the rest of the family and this post just a glimpse of her culinary talents. What makes her cooking special is, she does it with so much passion and love for the person for whom she is making it. To prove that you, here is Rachel and Emil, with their Lemon Meringue Cupcakes with oodles of love.
When Serah asked me to write a guest post on her blog, I wondered if she was out of her head.. “Me??!! I am not a blogger/writer/good articulator of words,….then why me, Lord”!


I bake for the love of ‘feeding’ my loved ones especially that lovable walking eating machine called my husband. Me cooking is definitely the way to his heart.And this is what he has to say about my culinary experiments.

 “I love the smell of bakes when I enter the house… and I know I’m HOME. I love the fact that she loves to bake. I see the earnest in the way she goes about it, the clatter of vessels, with her baking artillery all arranged appropriately. I am allowed a gist of how the flavors could turn out to be because she keeps reaching out to me to taste and offer opinions on the mix. It’s funny how baking isn’t just about how the end objective tastes; it is significantly about how it looks as well. And with a part time photographer for a husband, in spite of the fact that I don’t fancy food photography, she [pleasantly] nudges/nags me on. With her brand of cooking, it really isn't difficult, because the bake looks great in any angle. Her irritating attention to detail and the clarity of thought in how she wants it to look can get on my nerves, but hey, nobody said marriage was a bed of roses."

You will need:

Cupcakes
  • 1 cup pure cream
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
Lemon curd
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 100g butter
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 egg yolk
  • Meringue
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
Method
Cupcakes

1.Preheat oven to 180'C. Place 12 cupcake liners in a 12 hole muffin pan.

2. Place cream, sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Gradually add flour and zest and continue whisking until mixture is thick and smooth.

3. Divide mixture between prepared liners and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cakes spring back to touch. Cool in muffin pan.



Lemon curd

Heat lemon juice and butter in a small saucepan and simmer until butter has melted. Add sugar, egg and yolks and cook, whisking continuously until mixture becomes thick and glossy. Pour into a shallow oven tray to cool.

Meringue

Beat egg whites in an electric mixer until firm peaks form, gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating until sugar has dissolved between each addition. Spoon meringue mixture into a piping bag.

To serve
Pre-heat grill to medium-high. Cut a small hole in the top of each cupcake and fill with 1-2 teaspoons of lemon curd. Pipe a swirl of meringue mixture on the top of each cupcake and place under heated grill for 60-90 seconds or until golden.

Arrange on a serving plate with spoonfuls of lemon curd if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment